Belleville Works by Charles E. King

Click photo above to view all photos. Some of these photos are copyrighted by the Belleville Historical Society. Thank you to Matt Marcinkowski for contributing to this album. Any use of these photos should be credited to the Belleville Historical Society, including a link to bellevillehistoricalsociety.org. If you would like a print copy of a photo, please send an email request to bellevillehistoricalsociety@gmail.com.

The Belleville Historical Society has located dozens of structures in the Belleville area attributed to Midcentury Modern architect Charles Erwin King. There may be more and the search continues.

The following is a list of known King-designed residences and commercial buildings built in the Belleville area:

1947 – Paul Wagner Cottage – 145 Fern Glen Preserve (Shiloh)
1947 – Whelan and Delphine Klemme Resiennce – 4 Shady Lane
1948-49 – Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Brauer Residence – 604 South Missouri Avenue
1949 – Fred and Kathleen Burmann Residence – 26 Oakwood Drive
1949 – Al and Georgia Klemme Residence – 41 Country Club Place
1949 – Mr. and Mrs. George Kloess Residence – 1015 McClintock Avenue
1949 – Hauss Chevrolet Showroom – 1325 State Street (East St. Louis)
1950 – Mr. and Mrs. Eugene J. Marsh Residence – 512 Lafayette Drive
1950 – Mr. and Mrs. M. E, Burkhart Residence – 7915 West Washington Street
1950 – William and Minette Farthing Residence – 8221 West Main Street
1950 – Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Fleming Residence – 27 Hilltop Place (East St. Louis)
1951 – Lester and Rosalind Wagner Residence – 2012 North Belt East (demolished 1997; current site of Commerce Bank)
1951 – Mr. and Mrs. Orville Huntley Residence – 48 Country Club Place
1951 – Mr. and Mrs. E. J. Rogers Residence – 600 South Missouri Avenue
1951 – Irma Hempel Residence – 17 Woodland Court
1951 – Ray and Louise Erwin Residence – 400 Garden Blvd.
1951 – Pearl Wagner Residence – 1106 Dewey Street
1951 – Melvin and Anita Wegener Residence – 1000 North 17 th Street
1951 – Walton and Pearle Marsh Residence – 405 Garden Blvd.
1952 – Mr. and Mrs. William Harms – 8731 LePere School Road
1952 – Otto and Ethel Wegener Residence – 5 Kingsbury Drive
1952 – Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Contrael Residence (CEK addition in 1963) – 6 Ridge Lane
1952 – William and Elizabeth Reichert Residence – 57 Country Club Place
1952 – Leroy and Camille Kaesberg Residence – 10 Ridge Lane
1952 – Richard and Jeanette Yoch Residence – 144 Orchard Drive
1952 – Donald and Sylvia Robertson – 620 North 66th Street
1952 – Residence # 251?
1952 –  Terry and Thelma Blazier Residence – 8501 West Main Street  (converted to a funeral home in 1962 by George and Rosemary
Brickler)
1953 – Marsh Stencil Machine Company – 701 East B Street (front entrance and corporate offices)
1954 – Margaret and Redford Bond Residence – 128 Superior Drive
1955 – Paul and Irene Norbet Residnece – 2 Westgate Drive
1955 – Mr. and Mrs. William Huxel Residence – 7 Divide Avenue
1955 – Erwin Printing Company – 818 East Washington Street
1956 – James and Marion McQuillan Residence – 41 Lakeview Drive
1956 – Midwest Savings and Loan Association – 101 South High Street
1956 – John and Evelyn Hoban Residence – 13 Oakwood Drive
1956 – Charles and Audrey Marsh King Residence – 904 Briar Hill Road
1956 – Charles and Joan Meyer Residence – 301 Carson Drive
1956 – J. E. Juenger Residence – 68 Carnation Drive
1956 – Belleville Radiation Institute – 12 West Lincoln Street
1956 – First Mutual Savings and Loan Association – 119 South Illinois Street (altered by Belleville News-Democrat in 1982)
1956 – Camp Ida Keck Lodge (Girl Scout Council) State Route 159 South
1956 – Belleville National Savings Bank (additions and alterations) Public Square (demolished 1984)
1957 – Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Bone Residence – 9 Powder Mill Road
1957 – Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Lippert Residence – 21 High Forest Drive
1957 – Paul and Shirley Kunz Residence – 17 Knollwood Drive
1957 – Belleville Township High School (now Lindenwood University-Belleville) – 2600 West Main Street:

  • Fine Arts/ Cafeteria Building
  • Science and Library Building
  • Addition and alteration of Girls Gymnasium
  • Addition to the Main Gymnasium (annex gym)
  • Welding Shop (demolished 2012)

1957 – Bell Dial Office Building – 600 North 88th Street (East St. Louis)
1957 – River King Mine Office Building – Freeburg
1957 -Town House Motel – 400 South Illinois Street
1957 – Belleville City Hall – 101 South Illinois Street
1957 – Belleville City Firehouse # 1 – 16 South Jackson Street (demolished 1984)
1957 – Cahokia Elementary School – District 187 (Cahokia)
1957 – Mount Calvary Lutheran Church and Parsonage – 2300 Jerome Lane (Cahokia)
1958 – Frank and Dorothy Skinner Residence – 25 High Forest Drive
1958 – New Era Oil Company – 420 South Illinois Street
1958 – Mr. and Mrs. Leon Frick Residence – 300 Garden Blvd.
1958 – Carriage House Restaurant – 420 East Washington Street (addition to Victorian home)
1958 – Chenot Elementary School – District 187 (Centreville)
1959 – Peace Lutheran Church (original chancel) – 1209 Royal Heights Road
1959 – Edgemont Bank and Trust Company – 8740 State Street (East St. Louis)
1959 – Fietsam’s Jewelry Store – North High Street (Demolished)
1960 – Thompson Gas Company – 1431 North Illinois Street
1962 – Dr. and Mrs. Richard Osland Residence – 2 Kil-Mar Woods
1963 – Bob and Diane Kelce Residence – 904 Briar Hill Road (addition to Charles and Audrey Marsh King Residence)
1969 – Centreville Elementary School – 3429 Camp Jackson Road (Centreville)
1982 – James and Barbera King Residence – 47 Powder Valley Drive
1987 – Marsh Stencil Machine Company – 701 East B Street (conference room and office expansion)


More about Charles E. King