Walk of Fame 2016 Induction Ceremony

« See All Events

The Belleville Walk of Fame, which the Belleville Historical Society initiated in 2014 as part of the Bicentennial celebration, will honor four Bellevilleans this fall. The new inductees selected by our Board of Trustees and Advisors and approved by the Belleville City Council are Gustavus and Sophia Koerner, Edward Daley, and Julius Liese. These persons have met the established criteria of “having made significant contributions to our city, region, or nation or who have brought fame to Belleville.”

The ceremony to induct this year’s class will be held on October 1 as a part of the Fall 2016 Belleville Museum Open House Day, which will celebrate the role of women in Belleville’s history.

As a tribute to inductee Julius Liese and the Belleville Philharmonic’s 150th anniversary season, the philharmonic will be represented by new music director and conductor Robert Hart Baker and president Ethan Edwards. David Cox will emcee.

Belleville Walk of Fame Induction Ceremony

Date: Saturday, Oct. 1, 2016
Time: 10 a.m.
Entry: Free and open to the public
Place: Belleville Public Square, northwest quadrant
Open in Google Maps »

2016 Inductees

Gus Koerner, who immigrated to Illinois from Germany to Illinois in 1833, was elected Illinois Lieutenant Governor in 1852. He played a primary role in the organization of the Republican Party in Illinois and served as manager for Abraham Lincoln at the 1860 Republican Convention. Sophia, Gustave’s wife, was founder of the Belleville Kindergarten Association in 1874. Their home on Mascoutah Avenue is currently under restoration.

Edward Daley moved to Belleville in 1916 to become the executive director of the newly formed Greater Belleville Board of Trade. In 1917, he led the effort to convince the War Department to build Scott Field near Belleville. He became the first executive director of the Belleville Chamber of Commerce in 1924 and in 1929 successfully began orchestrating the planning and financing of the Hotel Belleville.

Julius Liese immigrated to Belleville in 1864, became a bookkeeper, and began teaching music. He joined the Belleville Philharmonic orchestra in 1867 and became its second conductor in 1869 and continued that role until his resignation in 1885. In 1874 he established the Liese Lumber Company at its current East Main Street location, and later became president of the Sucker State Drill Company and was co-inventor of seed-planting drill.

Learn more about the Belleville Walk of Fame »